Winter Travel Insurance Tips
Posted February 29th, 2016 in Uncategorized.
We are at the time of year people are planning to do some winter get away traveling. Here is what you need to know:
Auto insurance issues
- If you will be renting a car in the USA of Canada, your liability coverage applies to any and all losses. You should not need to pay extra for coverage from the rental car company.
- The claim is covered by the auto policy of the person who actually rents the car
- There is no deductible in a rental car claim
- Make sure you have adequate property damage liability, it is cheap
- If you have a claim keep all documents to ensure that you do not get a surcharge for losses you are not at fault for. (This is very important)
- If you are renting a car through your business, you will want to find out from your agent if your liability extends to rental cars, typically it does.
- Take a picture of your insurance ID card and keep it on your phone
Personal property insurance issues
- Your belongings are covered worldwide under your home or renters policy
- Lost luggage is not covered, but theft is.
- If you are taking along jewelry or expensive electronics contact your agent about scheduling the items to cover for almost anything except mechanical breakage.
- Don’t advertise on Facebook and other social media that you will be out of town
- Take your agent’s contact data with you, they can help with any problems
Your insurance agent can salvage any part of your trip after something bad happens, and will gladly offer to help where they can. All you have to do is give them a call so have their phone number handy on your trip.